Sunday, September 13, 2020

Only A Mother Could Love

Lucy was blessed a few weeks ago and I finally got around to rereading the notes my sister took for me of the blessing which led to me reading Rose's baby blessing and then rereading my patriarchal blessing. And I had this epiphany moment. 


When you talk to your mom do you feel important? And talented? And beautiful? (I hope you do! If not, I hope you have someone else in your life that creates these feelings for you!) When I talk to my mom, I feel like an interesting person. She knows me almost better than anyone else, and I can tell that she is impressed at all of my small accomplishments. She gave birth to me and has been watching me grow and learn for 25 years. When I left on my mission in 2015, I was one of 22,000 other sister missionaries serving missions at the same time. To the world, the fact that I served a mission was not really that impressive; so many other girls were doing the exact same thing. But my mom on the other hand knew and understood what a big deal that decision was for me, she saw how incredible it was that I spent all day every day walking up to complete strangers and sharing my beliefs. 

There are so many other examples I could use here to try to get my point across but it kind of reminds me of that funny phrase "he/she has a face that only a mother could love." Which isn't exactly what I'm trying to get at, but mothers not only think that their children are the most beautiful creatures on earth, but they also can see how incredible and beautiful and important their children ACTUALLY are. Because they see their entire growth journey. 



Anyway, as I was reading through these blessings I have for Rose and Lucy, I was able to see a bit from my mom's perspective how she sees me, because I also see my daughters as these beautiful, wonderful, talented, little spirits who are capable of accomplishing so much in their lifetime. I'm blown away every single day at how much Rose has grown and learned over her short 2 years and a bit of life. I think she is fascinating and cute and smart and amazing. 

Back to the epiphany: I have been taught my whole life that I am a child of God and that He loves us unconditionally and knows us better than we know ourselves. I've read the quotes about how He chose the title of Father because it explains His role to us better than any other title. But I was able to see for a moment how He truly sees me and how He feels about me. And not only that but how He sees and feels about all the people around me. 

I guess this epiphany is kind of silly because everyone knows that we are supposed to remember that everyone is a child of God and that we should remember that every one we meet is someone else's son or daughter or brother or sister or mother or father. 

But I have a completely different perspective of what that means now that I am a mother of two beautiful little girls who have their whole lives ahead of them to do amazing things. 

So, here is your friendly reminder that everyone you meet is a child of an all-knowing, unconditionally loving Heavenly Father who has seen them learn to walk and talk and run and think and learn and feel joy, sorrow, anger, and frustration. 

But if that feels difficult to remember, just remember how you feel when you talk to your mom and try to remember that everyone else wants to feel that way too. 




No comments:

Post a Comment