Tuesday, January 8, 2019

For Posterity

I kind of consider this blog a place for me to journal since I've gotten so bad at writing in my journal. One day I'll print off all of my posts to put into a book for posterity or something. :) With that being said, I've had it in my head the last few days that I'd like to write a post about weird things I did or liked as a child.

I was discussing (or probably arguing) with Ryan the other day about something and he was like "you had pet water balloons as a kid!" as if that was a way to prove that I can't be right about anything because what kind of weirdo holds onto filled up water balloons as a child?! Well.... I did...

So, that got me thinking about other super weird things I did and I thought I'd share a few...for posterity, and maybe for your enjoyment also, if you like reading about this sort of thing.


  • To start off, I'll go into more detail about my pet water balloons. :) My best friend, Kristen, and I were a little on the weird side... but one time we got some water balloons and made little beds for them, and little magazines, and little houses. We spent hours making teeny tiny homes and accessories for our little water balloons. Then she kept them in her closet for who knows how long, until one day, years later she was cleaning out her closet and found shriveled up balloons in boxes. 
  • My favorite treat at Jeremiahs Italian Ice was a mix of cotton candy and chocolate chip. 
  • I had a collection of dead animals. (Which Ryan thinks is so weird, and unfair because if he were to say something like that people would look at him funny and assume he was psychopathic (or is it sociopathic?), but when I say it, people laugh.) And like, I didn't kill animals or anything! I loved animals! I just found dead frogs or lizards or butterflies or snakes and kept them in little collections. Florida is a great place to find things like that! I found them fascinating! My mom made me leave them all behind when we moved to Texas, except for the butterflies. 
  • I don't think I wore shoes for the first 12 years of my life (except when I went to school or church). I still have calluses on my feet from running around barefoot so often. The dad of one of my friends was always getting on to me about it and I would tell him that I WAS wearing shoes, he just couldn't see them. 
  • My dreams in life were to own a day care (What was I thinking?!), to be a librarian, or to work in an office as a receptionist. I even had a desk set up in my room with handmade business cards and everything! Dream big kiddo!
  • I was shy, but I was also convinced that if I sang loud enough from the backyard someone would recognize my talent and haul me off to Hollywood or something to become a famous singer. Thank goodness I don't have any recordings of those backyard serenades.
  • I had lots of little collections. Pillows, fuzzy socks, quarters, beads, stuffed animals, magazines, paint color samples from home depot, oil lamps, etc. 
  • I was the worlds pickiest eater. On my list of foods that I hated were: potatoes in any form, tomato sauce (so pizza, lasagna, spaghetti, etc.), vegetables, grilled cheese sandwiches, waffles, french toast, sandwiches, jelly. My friends parents were always trying to figure out what I DID like, so I would tell them that I liked macaroni and cheese, but it turned out that I only liked Kraft mac and cheese, so they even normally got that wrong. (Sorry to everyone who tried to feed me back then...)
  • One time, in 5th grade, I brought a Ziplock bag full of flour to school because I thought it was so soft and fun to touch, but then one of the boys in the neighborhood told me it looked like cocaine and that if anyone saw it I would be arrested. So, I threw it out by the bus stop, terrified that someone would think I was doing drugs! 
  • One of the best gifts I ever got was 3 pet tadpoles from my other best friend. Unfortunately they didn't have enough food to thrive and 2 out of the 3 died before my mom made me release the last one into the wild. 
  • My friend Tori, the one who gave me the tadpoles, and I loved to put glue on our hands and let it dry and then peel it off. We used to always give each other Elmer's Glue for birthdays. We also would buy those movie theater boxes of Nerds and sit for hours separating them by color. 
  • I learned how to tie a tie when I was 12 playing Harry Potter with my friends. We were part of Dumbledore's Army. 
  • And one last one, Kristen and I used to throw parties. We'd ask her dad to take us to the dollar store and we'd buy streamers, balloons, and candy. Then we'd spend all day making invitations to run around the neighborhood to invite all the other kids we knew. Nobody ever came, so we'd sit there and eat our candy by ourselves. 


So, there you go. If you were my friend, you may never want to be again, but I wanted to write these down so I'd have them saved to laugh about with my children someday. :)

If you have any weird things you did as a child, I'd be happy to hear them! :) Please share!


This is Tori and I. We've been friends since Kindergarten, she even flew all the way to Utah to come to my wedding! <3
This is Kristen and I. I don't seem to have any pictures of us any younger, but we've been friends for about 13 or 14 years.


2 comments:

  1. I remember that pic! My birthday and I was putting red makeup all over my face Haha ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sure it looked beautiful! :) Haha remember when we used to make concoctions? Like mixing all the soap and lotions and everything new could find, together and then putting it on our faces?

    ReplyDelete