Wednesday, July 28, 2021

St. George Romantic Getaway

In April, my mom came to stay with the girls so that Ryan and I could go to St. George for 4 days without kids for our anniversary and my birthday! (Our anniversary is in February, but I wanted to wait until it was warmer to go on a trip, and it worked out perfectly because we went over my birthday weekend and it was probably my best birthday yet!) This was the longest we have ever been away from the kids. We had done over night things when Rose was a baby and had never left Lucy overnight, so this was a big deal! 

We had the BEST time! We were gone for almost 4 days and had time to do everything we wanted plus some. On the way there we stopped at the Beaver Creamery and got root-beer milk. (It's delicious if you are ever in the area!) Then we went to the mall and wandered around. We bought Ryan a dress shirt (he gave me free rein, but we couldn't find a beach shirt in his size.) We also went to Barnes and Noble (how cool is it that there is a book store in the mall?? We love books!) For the rest of the first day we went to a beautiful desert garden and then went to Benja's Thai restaurant to have sushi. 

Day 2 was my birthday so we went to a really cute crepe place for breakfast. My crepe was probably bigger than my head! After breakfast, we went to the the downtown shopping area of St. George and window shopped. We found a quirky rock/crystal/random stuff store, and a super cool antique store, and a candy shop. After window shopping we explored Pioneer Park, a really fun hiking area right in St. George. It felt like we had all the time in the world without having kids to take care of. We did all of this stuff and then went back to the airbnb to read the books we had brought with us and take naps for a few hours and then we went out to dinner. 

Funny story: We went to Benja's Thai restaurant on Friday night for sushi, but on google maps there were two different Benja restaurants. One was Thai food and one was sushi. So, we decided to try the other one on Saturday night and it turned out to be the same restaurant just a different location. 😂 Our first time going we had a pretty lousy waitress so we were kind of worried about being there a second time, but it was much better and I got curry instead of sushi and it was great. (We have some really good sushi places here in Provo that we like and I personally liked it more than this place's sushi. Ryan got sushi again because he loooooooves sushi.)

On Sunday, we watched sacrament meeting from home. (Very convenient that we could do that for a year whenever we traveled. But I'm glad to be back at church again.) And then we explored more of Pioneer park. We had lunch with Ryan's brother and sister at Olive Garden, and then we went back to the airbnb where we took naps. After our naps we drove to Gunlock State Park to hike and explore some more. We were surprised to find a reservoir instead of rushing water, but after exploring a little more, we found where the water sometimes was, but wasn't at that time. Instead it was a beautiful red rock area that was mostly dry but SO pretty and lots of fun to climb around! And we were there when the sun was starting to set, which made it even prettier. This was the only time I didn't bring my camera with me and only had my phone. And I'm pretty sad about it because I would have gotten some really awesome pictures had I had my camera with me. 

On Day 4, Monday, we had to drive home, but we stopped at Red Cliffs to do one last hike before heading all the way home. Red cliffs is probably one of my favorite places to hike. It's so fun to wander around and the red rock is just so different from what I grew up with in the South. I wanted to make a fun video for Instagram with red rock in the background so we spent 16 minutes of our hike jumping up and down in front of a big wall of red rock while my phone recorded us. A good handful of people passed us while we did this and offered to take pictures of us. We just waved them on and kept jumping for our funny instagram video. Ryan was a good sport about the whole thing. 

We really had such a blast on this trip. It was such a nice break from the monotony of parenthood and adulthood. We loved getting to do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted (no nap time schedules or bed times, no tantrums). And eating so much yummy food (without having to share any of it).  And getting to go on so many pretty hikes (without carrying any kids... are you noticing a theme? 😂). 

I definitely missed our kids, but I also definitely won't be waiting as long before I go on a trip with Ryan again. We loved being together and getting to pretend like we were newlyweds again. Our honeymoon was to St. George so it felt romantic for our first big getaway to be to the same place. ❤️

Love this guy. ❤️❤️❤️ I hope we get to go on many many more adventures together. 













Some pictures of the resort we stayed at! It was so charming in person. I loved walking past all the rose plants every day that we were there!. 






































































































No comments:

Post a Comment