Sunday, November 25, 2018

A Blog Post Written at 4 AM

It's 4 AM right now, and I am sitting at a desk in the Residential Treatment Center I now work at. My one and only job is to stay awake from 10 PM to 8 AM. It is seriously difficult. In fact, if this blog post turns out as complete gibberish, you'll know why.

I started my new job 2 weeks ago, but last Saturday night I had my very first night shift.

I'm not kidding when I say that my only job is to stay awake. All the kids are sleeping, so we just have to make sure no one runs away or does anything they're not supposed to. Otherwise, we just sit and stay awake. (Or try with all our might....)

My first night was REALLY difficult. I've never worked a 10 shift OR a night shift, so it has definitely been an adjustment.

Luckily, I only work 3 nights a week and I work them all in a row, so I have 3 rough days with little sleep, and then 4 days with normal amounts of sleep.

I also have the BEST baby in the whole world because when I get home in the mornings I feed her and then put her back to bed and every single day that I worked last week, she slept for an entire 4 hours! (Which is a first for her!) She is the sweetest baby in the whole wide world, and I love her for that. I'm normally pretty good on low amounts of sleep, and 4 hours feels like plenty. Especially because I only expected 2 hours of time that she would let me sleep.

Thanksgiving just came and went this past week, and I am so grateful for all the normal things: Ryan, Rose, our family, our home, food, chocolate, etc. But this year, I am extra grateful for a few other things.

1) All the people that have helped me out so much as I've applied for and been trained for this job. I don't know anyone close by who has the time to watch a baby for several hours, yet I've had help from so many people who have stepped up and sacrificed time they needed to do homework, work, or just relax from their extra busy lives. Last weekend, Ryan was out of town and I was especially stressed about my first night of work and what I would do with Rose since we would both be gone. Two friends that are going to BYU willingly came over and had a sleepover at my apartment so that they could be here when Rose woke up, which meant SO much to me.

2) I'm so so so grateful to have found a job that doesn't take away my time with Rose. She has no idea that I'm gone all night, and I am so grateful that I'm not missing any moments with her during the day.

3) I'm grateful for all the opportunities I have to learn and grow and pursue my dreams. I don't know if I'll get into the Master's program at BYU but studying for and taking the GRE reminded me that I like to learn and that I'm not dumb. Getting this job makes me feel useful and gives me something to do that's my own.

4) I am so grateful for the 4 nights that I get to sleep. I have most definitely taken for granted how wonderful sleeping at night in a warm, comfortable bed next to a loving husband is.

5) This doesn't have anything to do with the other ones, but I'm grateful to not be pregnant this Fall and to not have morning sickness. Fall last year was pretty much ruined by that... and I'm so glad I can eat food without throwing up!

6) I already mentioned this, but I will always be so so so grateful for Ryan, for his support and for how much he loves me. Normally before I leave for work, I feed Rose into a coma, put her to bed and then don't have to worry about her waking up until at least 7 am. Tonight, Rose wouldn't eat, and was wide awake and I didn't know what to do because I had to leave for work. Ryan told me not to worry about it and that he would take care of it. I'm not sure how it went, because I'm still at work, but I can't imagine that she was happy to go to bed in a way that's different from her norm. It takes a really awesome husband to say "Hey, don't worry about it. I'll take this baby and potentially not get any sleep tonight because she hasn't been fed. We'll be alright. Go on, and don't give it anymore thought!" He's the best. :)





It's about 4:30 am now, and I almost fell asleep and I almost accidentally pushed on the little red 'x' at the top of the screen. That would be rough. Enjoy your sleep! Don't take advantage of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment